Monday, August 19, 2013

It's been a while.

Wow, so it has been about two weeks since I've posted an entry for this blog. I don't think I've ever let that much time pass between updates; granted, I've only been blogging for a couple of months now, but up until now, I've been fairly consistent with my posts, averaging an entry every three or four days.

My hiatus hasn't been due to a lack of interest; I've actually been itching to post for a week now. Rather, I've just been so damn busy. Being busy is highly unusual for me.

The last couple of weeks have been rather hectic. In my last post, I gushed about my new employment status (spoiler alert: I do more of that); I have a pretty good job now, and am currently in the middle of training. It's a four week process, and trust me when I say that every day of it is needed. There is a lot of information to learn. Truth be told, I'm kind of nervous about it. Partially because it is a new job, but mostly because I'm afraid that I'll get some wires crossed and blunder something important. According to my trainer, it takes about 6 months for anybody to feel comfortable on the job, so I don't feel bad about being nervous; apparently, everyone goes through the same process of being a blundering wreck. So, go me.

Now, at the same time, I was also working my last two weeks at the retail job. So basically, my day began with me groggily stumbling out of bed at a cheery 6:30 am, grabbing a quick bite before heading out to do retail drudgery from 7:30 to 10:30 am, then immediately heading to the other job to work from 11 am to 7:30 pm. Getting home a little after 8 pm left me with about two and a half hours before I had to return to Slumberville, population me.

Now, I'm not complaining. I'm really not. I'm psyched about the new job, and more than happy to go and get paid real money. Putting in my last two weeks as a retail drone was good and decent; walking up and quitting on the spot would be a dick move, especially considering how understaffed they are.

That being said, I am greatly relieved to be done with Retail Land. I like my former co-workers; all of them are good people. But the job stunk.

With my new job comes better pay and more opportunities. It also comes with a few snags, unfortunately, but I can deal with those. Let's examine them (because I'm sure you're fascinated and not at all tired of me talking about this):

Pro's:
1. Good pay. I make more in a week then I did in whole month at Retail land. That sounds more impressive then it really is, though; Retail Land pay came out to around $95 a week. Do the math and weep with me.

2. Free time. I work 24 hours a week. Three 8 hour days. That gives me 4 days a week to focus on other projects and interests. Now, for the year and a half I've been in Seattle, I've had nothing but free time. The big difference is that now I'm not being a useless lump. I can actually contribute to the bills and rent and whatnot, which I can tell you does wonderful things for my ego and sense of well-being.

3. Paid Time Off! I've never had PTO before. I look forward to taking the occasional day off and not worrying about how it will effect my income.

4. I get to sleep in!!! You notice I have three exclamation marks. That indicates how excited I am about this. I HATE getting up early in the morning; to say that I'm not a morning person would be an understatement. Working at Retail Land, I was forced to arise with the sun. And being the night owl that I am, I constantly had to fight my natural tendencies to stay up late in the evening; I've had to dose myself with some form of sleep aid at least once a week.
For the next two weeks, I get to wake up at 9:30 am. This fact brings me joy, like the feeling of being wrapped in a warm blanket, drinking a mug of hot chocolate and reading a good book.

Kind of like this, except completely different.


After that, I can wake up whenever I want. (But see con's below)

Con's:
1. No school. So I've been in the Worker Retraining program, which helps poor scumbags such as myself get an education in a marketable field. They pay for tuition and books, sometime even transportation. That sounds incredible, right? Well, it was...
But I no longer qualify. It turns out you have to be on unemployment and/or not making a certain amount. Getting this job has knocked me off the list of those who can get free schooling. So now I'm forced to actually *pay* for my own education. What the hell has this world come to?

An even bigger snag is that the only reason I was going to that particular school and studying that particular field (medical assisting) was because it was being paid for. Now that that is no longer the case, it puts me in an interesting place. I need to sit down and figure out what I want to do as far as schooling goes. Oh, and save up money to pay for classes.

2. My shift kind of sucks. I work Thursday- Saturday, 5 pm to 1:30 am. Odd hours, but also the busiest. What that means is that when ever I actually cobble together some kind of social life, I will be at work during the time most people are usually out having fun.

It's kind of lame, but I'd rather do this and have money than be a broke fuck and have limitless free evenings.


It seems the Pro's outnumber the Con's; that's a first for me when it comes to any form of employment. Long story short (too late!), I'm pretty satisfied.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to fall.


No comments:

Post a Comment